The campaign application phase will close on 23rd October 2015 which means that the upper and lower age limits for this campaign will be as follows:
Applicants must have attained the age of 18 years and be no more than 57 years on appointment. For this recruitment campaign, this means that:
- Your 18th birthday should be on or before 23rd April 2016
- Your 57th birthday should be on or after 23rd April 2016
A qualified candidate means an applicant for appointment to the police who if not a national of a State which is a contracting Party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area must have leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom for an indefinite period.
The current members of the European Economic Area are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia*, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
*Applicants from Croatia do not have the automatic right to work in the United Kingdom. However, we understand that this is currently under review. For further information please visit the Home Office website https://www.gov.uk/croatian-national.
For nationals who are not members of the States within the European Economic Area, documentary evidence of the right to enter, or remain in, the United Kingdom for an indefinite period must be supplied when requested by the Recruitment Team. This may only be supplied in the following format:
- A copy of a passport or other travel document endorsed to show that the person named is exempt from immigration control, has indefinite leave to enter, or remain in, the United Kingdom or has no time limit on his or her stay; or a letter issued by the Home Office confirming that the person named has such status.
If your application is successful you will be required to produce the original document for inspection prior to being offered employment.
Applicants are required to have a minimum of 5 GCSEs (or equivalent*) at A*-C grade, including Maths and English Language.
Applicants will be required to provide original and photocopies of exam certificates at Assessment Centre. Please note that all certificates must be dated on or before 10th January 2016.
* If your qualifications were obtained outside the United Kingdom, please see the guidance on equivalent qualifications at http://ofqual.gov.uk/help-and-advice/comparing-qualifications/. Please note that if your qualifications are not comparable under this guidance, it is unlikely that your application will proceed beyond Assessment Centre.
Detailed guidance on equivalent qualifications can be found here. This is based on scenarios previously encountered in the police officer recruitment process and cannot be considered to cover all potential scenarios.
Applicants are required to have a level of Computer Literacy, in order to effectively perform their role as a constable. As part of the continuous improvement process applied to the recruitment of constables, it has been decided that candidates will not have to present a formal IT qualification in order to demonstrate this competence. The specific IT skills required in the role of a constable will instead be tested at different stages of the recruitment process, including:
- At application stage through the use of an online application form;
- At Assessment Centre stage; and
- Through completion of online training courses in advance of entering the Police College.
Applicants will be asked to confirm that they understand that constables are expected to be competent in using IT software and devices on the Online Application Form.